Hi, beauties! A few months ago I swatched my MAC Neutral Eyeshadow Palette. In that post I mentioned that I wouldn't be replacing my old palettes with the new Pro Palettes because it would be too expensive. However, I recently ran out of space in my old MAC Palettes and decided to give the new one a try. I will be comparing the old vs. new MAC palettes and include swatches of the eyeshadows inside.
I found the old palettes to be of considerable good quality, but the new palette is definitely sturdier. The old palette has a snap closure. I own 3 of the old palettes and the closure broke on one of them. The new palette has a magnetic closure. Both are sturdy and travel-friendly but the new palettes feel sturdier.
The lid of the old palette gets dirty quickly because it's made of rough (porous) plastic. The new palettes have a clear plastic lid that I thought would stay cleaner. The plastic lid scratches easily, especially if you travel a lot so both palettes tend to look dirty or "ugly" after a while. It's not something that bothers me too much though.
The clear lid lets you see exactly what's inside. With the old palettes, you had to either open each one or label them on the outside.
The new palette is more expensive. The old palette comes with the insert and costs $16. The new palette costs $18 and doesn't include the insert. The new insert costs $9. Since I don't use the insert, the price difference is only $2. For those that do, the increase is $11! That's a lot!
All in all, I prefer the new palette. It's prettier and sturdier. The reason I don't like using inserts is because more eyeshadows fit inside without it. Plus, I'm not fussy about them being perfectly aligned. Also, without an insert I can place different sized eyeshadows from other brands. I have never had problems with eyeshadows moving around or shattering without the insert.
Below are swatches of all the eyeshadows inside my new MAC Pro Palette. There's also a quick description of each shade.
01. Make Up For Ever 04: Matte black. It swatches patchy but looks great on the eyes.
02. Make Up For Ever 162: Beautiful red-toned matte brown. I love this eyeshadow.
03. MAC Espresso (Matte): I adore this eyeshadow. It's a neutral matte brown. Looks great on the crease. It used to be my brow color.
04. MAC Charcoal Brown (Matte): Cool-toned matte brown. It's buildable. It's my current brow color.
05. Swiss Chocolate (Matte): Red-toned matte brown. It's a more subtle version of MUFE #162. Great for warming up the eyes.
06. MAC Embark (Matte): Warm toned matte brown. It's dry and needs to be built up. I don't recommend it!
07. MAC Club (Satin): Brown base with green duochrome. It's hard to capture in pictures, but it really is a beautiful eyeshadow.
08. MAC Greensmoke (Lustre): I love this color but it's a little gritty and needs building up.
09. MAC Sumptuous Olive (Veluxe Pearl): I would call this a golden green. It's gorgeous.
10. Make Up For Ever 47: Matte olive green. Great pigmentation and texture.
11. MAC Steamy (Frost): I won this in a giveaway (hosted by Natalie from Persian Beauty) but haven't been able to use it yet. It swatches beautifully.
12. MAC Patina (Frost): This is a color I think everyone should own. It can be dressed up or down, although I mostly wear it during the daytime.
13. MAC Vex (Frost): I accidentally asked for Vex instead of Trax when I was at a MAC store. I didn't realize until I got home but decided to keep it because it's very pretty. It has a subtle lilac/grey opalessence.
14. Cranberry (Frost): Another must have. It's a metallic cranberry color (of course). If you're intimidated by red on the eyes this is a great color to try.
Every shade, basically! Except Embark and Greensmoke which are not up to par quality-wise.
Humid and Trax are the next MAC eyeshadows I'm planning to purchase. I want to fill up my palette so please tell me what your favorite eyeshadow shades are. They don't have to be from MAC, they just have to come in a pan form. Thank you for reading!