Hello, loves! This post was originally meant to be called Holiday Red Lipsticks but I wasn't able to get it published on time. The holiday season has now passed but that doesn't mean you can't rock red lips anymore. I'm a year-round red lips kind of girl so here are my picks for a matte, glossy, neutral, pink-based, blue-based, orange-based, and deep red lip. Click on for lip, face, and arm swatches (swatch galore once more!)
01. The Blue Toned Red, NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl ($25): To me, blue hues are much more universally flattering than neutral reds. They complement pink skin tones beautifully and the contrast against yellow skin tones is gorgeous. Plus, blue reds make teeth look so white!
02. The Pink Toned Red, Revlon SuperLustrous in Cherries in The Snow ($7.99): Pink tones are ones I prefer on cooler skin tones but, still, I'm an advocate of wearing whatever you like. They're also a good way for "newbies" to start wearing red lipsticks because they're kind-of-sort-of almost pink.
03. The Neutral Red, MAC Matte Lipstick in Russian Red ($15): A neutral red is one that is neither predominantly cool nor yellow toned. It's like the safe choice amongst reds. For this category I picked the classic Russian Red from MAC which also happens to be matte (my favorite finish).
04. The Orange Toned Red, Wet'n'Wild Mega Last in Purty Persimmon ($1.99): Some call it a tomato red and it's more commonly used by people with yellow undertones. Again, makeup has few rules and you may find that you have a cool complexion and love orange reds on yourself. And yes, you read correctly. This is just $2!
05. The Deep Red, NARS Pure Matte Lipstick in Mascate ($26): Darker reds are very popular around the holidays. They also suit deeper skin tones beautifully. My choice, Mascate, is not an all-out vampy shade but just slightly darker than your average red lipstick.
06. The Matte Red, Stila All Day Liquid Lipstick in Beso ($22): It was a no-brainer for this category. The Stila All Day's are by far one of the best matte liquid lipstick formulas on the market. Beso is completely matte (it doesn't transfer) and lasts so long! I'm just blown away at how long this color lasts on my lips even through meals.
07. The Glossy Red, Rimmel Apocalips in Big Bang ($4.99): Also known as Show Off Lip Lacquers in the U.S., the Apocalips are, in a nutshell, very opaque lip glosses. Now, I'm not a fan of pigmented colors in a glossy finish but I know many people are. They do look striking on the lips and give off a Hollywood feel. I'm just put off by the messy and transferable nature of the formula.
I hope you found this useful. Let me know if you own any of these shades. Also, what's your favorite type of red: blue, pink, neutral, orange, deep, matte or/and glossy?