If someone asked me what my favorite three brands of makeup are I would answer Illamasqua, MAC, and NARS. I’ve tried my fair share of NARS products and have featured many of them on this site. I’ve put together a list of my favorite products from the brand along with a brief explanation of why I recommend them. This is a good place to start if you’re looking to get into high-end makeup or simply expand your repertoire of NARS products. Note: I apologize for the linty appearance of my makeup. The signature NARS rubberized packaging is infamous for getting dirty easily. I tried to wipe my items clean but the towelette left a lot of lint on them which ended up making them look worse. Might as well have left them dirty…
1. Concealers: I like NARS concealers and particularly love their Radiant Creamy Concealer. I wear the shade Custard and have already repurchased the shade. There’s a lot of concealers I really love, but the Creamy Concealer has been my #1 for over a year. It has great consistency, longevity, and a thick-ish texture that makes it great for both undereyes and blemishes. I think it isn’t ideal for very dry skin, but you can give it a try.
2. Sheer Glow Foundation: Although I have tried other foundations that I have really liked, Sheer Glow has remained my “holy grail” foundation for 2 years. It’s a very versatile foundation because of its satin finish (not glowy or dewy as the name suggests). Skin types that are on the extreme ends of the spectrum (really dry or really oily) might not favor this (although a foundation primer might make it work for you). If NARS ever decided to discontinue Sheer Glow (doubt it, it sells very well), I’d probably buy seven bottles.
3. Blushes: NARS blushes were their most popular products back when I started this blog. Most people who are familiar with the brand know of (or own) Orgasm, a peachy pink with tons of gold glitter. It’s too shimmery for me, personally, but I didn’t let that stop me from trying their other shades. NARS blushes have a nice texture, but there are better ones in the market. However, it’s their longevity that caused me to take a special liking to them (along with their beautiful color selection). My some of my favorites include Cactus Flower, Douceur, and Mata Hari (shown above).
4. Malacca Eyeshadow Single: I don’t believe NARS eyeshadows are the best in the market. That’s not to say that they’re bad; they are generally pigmented and well-performing. However, there’s nothing exceptional about them in general. When I think of NARS I don’t immediately think “eyeshadows” as I do when I think of, say, Urban Decay. However, there are a few shades here and there that are remarkable. Case and point: Kalahari, Persia, and Malacca (shown above).
5. And God Created the Woman Palette: As I was saying above, NARS eyeshadows are good but not their forte (in my opinion). However, I have sang praises to their God/Woman Palette many times before. First of all, it contains Kalahari. Secondly, it is such a versatile travel-friendly palette. It’s smaller than an iPhone (the older ones) and has a great selection of colors.
6. Illuminators: I adore their liquid Illuminators because the texture is very blendable and the shimmer is very subtle. They make great highlighters but also look beautiful when mixed in with your foundation. You don’t need much product at all and the sizes are very generous so I don’t think I’ll ever run out of these. The shades I own are 413 BLKR (champagne) and Orgasm (peachy pink).
I forgot to include these in the picture (because I am an idiot!) but my all-time favorite NARS products (after Sheer Glow) are their Velvet Matte Lip Pencils. The look like retro mattes but are so creamy, soft, and comfortable. I’ve shown a few of them on the blog before: Walkyrie, Train Bleu, Bolero, Dragon Girl.
What products would you recommend to someone who has never tried NARS before?